Enable the root user in OSX
Robert ShellDecember 03, 2016
To enable the root user in OSX using the GUI, follow these steps:
1. From the Apple menu select "System Preferences".
2. Click on the "Users & Groups" icon.
3. Click the lock and enter the credentials of an administrator account.
4. Click Login Options....
5. Click the ""Join..." button to the left of "Network Account Server" at the bottom.
6. Click the "Open Directory Utility..." button at the bottom left.
7. Click the lock in the Directory Utility window and enter the credentials of an administrator account.
8. Select Enable Root User or Change Root Password from the OSX Edit menu.
9. Enter the desired password you wish to use for the root account in both the Password and Verify fields.
10. Click OK and then click the lock again to prevent further changes.
To enable the root user in OSX using the Terminal while logged in with an administrator account, follow these steps:
1. To enable the root user:
2. To disable the root user: